:: The Bitch Girls ::

Where the Personal becomes the Political at our whim...
:: Welcome to The Bitch Girls :: bloghome | bitter at thebitchgirls.us ::
[::..update..::]
:: We've moved! Come visit us at our new home. However, for those days that Dreamhost pisses us off, this is our backup site.


[::..archive..::]

:: Thursday, November 07, 2002 ::

Common Sense It's something I don't see often on a college campus. Finally, someone who will talk about the realities of abortion rights in the Supreme Court. For the record, I agree with him. I don't think it will be overturned. It's been protected for so long. It has been my entire life plus several years.

But now I'm going to do something that may be a little crazy. I'm going to share my thoughts on abortions. I don't want the court to overturn Roe, but I'm not a fan of abortion either. I consider myself to be pro-life, yet I wouldn't ever want abortion banned. I don't like when government bans things for the most part. I also have a serious problem with a child being denied it's right to life. My solution: Solve the root of the problem. Let's reduce, with a goal to eliminate, unwanted pregnancies. I know that it's not possible to completely rid the world of unwanted pregnancies, but let's make it a goal. I don't like handing out condoms to 6 year olds, but a serious discussion of safe sexual conduct that includes abstinence with older students is important. I knew to have safe sex before I even know what sex was because my mother worked with AIDS groups when I was young. I know that birth control doesn't help for STDs, but I still promote it as a requirement to my friends that are sexually active. (Some of my Bitches need to listen up!) Guys can get STDs that can kill them. Girls can too. But guys don't have to live with a pregnancy or the decision to abort. A real man will live with those consequences, but obviously some men don't. Don't let yourself come to the point where you will have to make that decision. The only definite way is through abstinence, but at least take ALL the precautions you can. Those are my thoughts. Now I'm prepared to get the hate mail.

Oh wait! Before I end this post, I have to tell you a funny story about this issue. In 2000, I went to UMass Boston to rally outside the presidential debate. I stopped to ask some of the pro-lifers that I don't particularly agree with (the ones with the gruesome signs) for directions. As I did, a girl painted in green (sorry First Bitch, no offense to you meant in any way) rode up beside me on her bike. She had been doing circles around them chanting something about their laws and her body. I didn't pay attention to the green monster. Anyway, she came up to me and started yelling at me, asking how a woman my age could possibly stand with them against abortion. I was so pissed off at the sexual harassment I had just dealt with in a big crowd of guys, that I just lost it. (Quick note to guys: Just because a young redhead is out rallying in an area near you does not give you the right to surround her and grab anywhere you see fit. Next time it's the keychain to the crotch boys. I have so much more confidence about every level of self defense since I started shooting.) I screamed a few choice profanities and basically told her that if she really wanted her right to privacy that she could kiss my ass. If she truly believed whatever the hell she was chanting then it's none her of damn business what I think. She stopped and just looked stunned, then confused. Then she rode away. Stupid EYP.

...
:: Bitter 8:55 PM [+] ::
...
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?