:: The Bitch Girls ::

Where the Personal becomes the Political at our whim...
:: Welcome to The Bitch Girls :: bloghome | bitter at thebitchgirls.us ::
[::..update..::]
:: We've moved! Come visit us at our new home. However, for those days that Dreamhost pisses us off, this is our backup site.


[::..archive..::]

:: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 ::

Chivalry and Sexism Thanks to Bitter and Juan Gato for bringing this one to my attention. Kinda reminds me of the comment response I made to Matt just yesterday about manners in the South. You know what, though? I would be willing to stay barefoot in the kitchen and home with the kids if it meant that he would provide well for me, open my doors for me, chew with his mouth closed, keep his elbows down when cutting his steak, keep his elbows off the table, say please and thank you, excuse himself, not belch, not scratch, and generally treat me with the utmost respect and love. Yeah, I think I would be willing to make that trade... better be sure to never say that out loud around here...

And on a related note, a lot of arguments I hear about sexism with regards to Christianity are about one passage in particular from Ephesians which reads: "Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as teh church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything." (Eph. 5:22-24) Okay, yeah. That sounds pretty bad. But if you keep reading, which a lot of people I imagine don't, it says: "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and give himself up for her... In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies." (Eph. 5:25-28). You know, I kinda think the guy has it harder in this scenario because he's got to be willing to love his wife as Christ loved the church, unconditionally, willing to die. And if you find someone who loves you like that and therefore always has your best interest in mind, it won't be much like submission because you'll both be on the same page, so to speak.

...
:: Baby 4:07 PM [+] ::
...
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?