:: The Bitch Girls ::

Where the Personal becomes the Political at our whim...
:: Welcome to The Bitch Girls :: bloghome | bitter at thebitchgirls.us ::
[::..update..::]
:: We've moved! Come visit us at our new home. However, for those days that Dreamhost pisses us off, this is our backup site.


[::..archive..::]

:: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 ::

Why College Sucks Maybe I am just hormonal, but I about cried when it took me three times to get the title to be in bold. But, this is not about why blogger sucks, it is about why college sucks. It has been occurring to me over and over in various levels of realization that what I am doing right now is all but pointless. The sole reason for going to college is to get a job. Now, that doesn't mean you study what you need to know for your job. I am at a liberal arts school. I may major in history. I do not plan to go to law school. Therefore, in four years, aside from mediocre analyzation skills, I will have nothing marketable or employable about me. I will only have a piece of paper that is not worth anymore than the pieces of computer paper that are strewn around Bitter's room. This piece of paper supposedly means that I know everything there is to know about whatever the thing on it says and that I am employable. All it really means is that if I am lucky I won't have to flip burgers at McDonalds for the rest of my life. (On a side note, I knew this guy once who took a year leave of absence from a top notch liberal arts college because he had no motivation and was going to flip burgers at McD's for a year to remind himself why he was in college. But when he went to apply, none of the waged jobs in his town were hiring. Not even McDonalds... talk about irony.)

But here's the thing. I have no motivation. I don't feel like there's any reason for me to go to these classes and learn arbitrary things that unless I end up teaching history (which I suppose is a very real possiblity) will be useless in my day to day working life. Part of me wants to go back home and go to UGA and go to the business school and be on the "business track" because at least then I would have some path and some direction. But then again, the reason that I came to liberal arts school in the first place is because I didn't ( and I still don't) have a clue what I want to do. Now yes, you may say that I have a few years, which I suppose is true to an extent, but that doesn't mean that I wlil be any more motivated and that is the crux of the problem. I don't see myself being happy working in the business world, but at least it is something. And it makes decent money. I hate to admit it, but I realize now that a draw of where I currently attend college is that women here tend to marry well. That is a draw for someone who sees herself in a job like teaching which doesn't make a large amount of money and also wants to be able to be a mom if and when it comes to that (ie, I'd need someone who could provide for a one income household). So yeah, I am stressed about all this work that isn't going to matter in ten years but sure as heck matters now because if I fail out or wreck my gpa then I can't get a good job or into a good grad school. BLAH! Okay. College is stressfull. Maybe I should have gone to Indiana University. (isn't that the #1 party school these days?) Then I could have the piece of paper and not wasted my time doing useless work and stressing over it.

And that, my friends, is why college sucks. Okay. Now make me feel better. :-\

...
:: Baby 12:19 AM [+] ::
...
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?